Sunday, June 7, 2009

Regina Mundi Catholic Elementary School

Each week The Hamilton Spectator presents a page of news from local schools. It’s a page for students by students. Today, we feature Regina Mundi Catholic Elementary School.

This week’s Spectator Literacy Project was facilitated by Lillian Scibetta.

Full School Name: Regina Mundi Catholic Elementary School

School Information:
Principal: Lillian Scibetta
Grades offered: JK – Grade 8

675 Mohawk Road West
Hamilton, Ontari

Main Contact: Lillian Scibetta
School Phone: 905 383-7244


Art Gallery


Regina Mundi started a Photography Club last September with the support of six digital cameras purchased by the Catholic School Council with proceeds raised from a Pasta Dinner fundraiser. The Club is open to students in Grades 3-8 who record student life (field trips, school events, etc.) in pictures for the school yearbook.


Photobucket

“Symmetry” photographed by Angelina Noto-Campanella and Jennifer We
Photobucket
sley, Grade 7.



“Still Life” photographed by Katherine Heleno, Grade 5.


Photobucket

Puzzle art by Christina Cadete, Grade 7. Haven’t guessed? Clue: A sailorman who likes spinach.


Photobucket

Puzzle art by Emma Curtis, Grade 7. Haven’t guessed? Clue: He’s “incredible” at saving the world!


Photobucket

“Jumping for Joy” photographed by Rachel Kolenko, Grade 7.


Photobucket

“Disparition à la galerie de jeux: ou est Kim?” par Emma Curtis et Victoria Davis, 7ième année.


Guess who’s coming to dinner?

If I could invite one person (living or dead) to dinner, it would be …

“I would invite Neil Armstrong because he is a great role model. He was calm, collected and professional, and I would like to have these character traits. I would ask him about walking on the moon, and tell him that not many people have his combination of bravery and humility.”
~ Marcus Malavolta, Grade 6

“I would invite Jimi Hendrix. I’ve always wished he could be my music teacher. I would ask him about the sixties and Woodstock. He could show me some riffs, and how to use distortion. I do wish he was still alive, just imagining the type of music he could have created.”
~ Joshua Bowman, Grade 6


“Pope John Paul II, in my opinion, changed the world. He reached out to people all around the world, and I ask for his help in my prayers. Also, I learned what his favourite dessert was, and my mom knows how to make it!”
~ Richard Tonia, Grade 6


“I would surely ask Harriet Tubman. She was born into slavery, and was beaten and whipped by various owners. After escaping from captivity, she made thirteen missions on the Underground Railroad, and rescued over seventy slaves. She is a true role model because of her courage.”
~ Mackenzie Riley, Grade 6

“It would have to be Princess Diana because she was wonderful, kind and elegant. She was a compassionate humanitarian, who volunteered with children and protested against landmines. She could also tell stories about her childhood and what it is like to be a princess. It would be an honour to talk to her.”
~ Nathalia Reyes, Grade 6


“I would invite Albert Einstein because he could do my homework! He was a brilliant scientist and he had really cool hair.”
~ Jan Michael Fernandez, Grade 6


“It would definitely be Martin Luther King, Jr. because he was a real hero. He wanted all people to be happy and be treated fairly. He helped to end segregation, won the Nobel Peace Prize, and changed many people’s hearts.”
~ Rosaleen Nazi

“I would invite my grandmother. I never got a chance to meet her because she died when my dad was just a teenager. She looks really similar to me in this one portrait. I would ask how my dad’s childhood was different from mine, and what it was like with eleven children running around.”
~ Jessica Nicolle

“I would invite some of my early ancestors. I would want to learn about the history of my family, the wars they fought and the games they played. I would also want to know what Ghana looked like back then.”
~ Deli Kuwabong

“If I were to invite anyone it would be Eoin Colfer. He wrote my favourite series of books, (italics) Artemis Fowl (italics). His writing really lets you visualize the trolls, gnomes, fairies and demons. I would ask him to share his ideas for new stories, and give him some of my suggestions.”
~ Jacob Dudalski


If kids called the shots
Erin Janus, Grade 8

If kids called the shots in terms of government, laws and education, things in society would be a lot different from how they are now. However, if kids called the shots, they would need to show responsibility to avoid chaos. Could they manage it properly?

I’m sure if we had a Prime Minister under the age of eighteen, it would be voted illegal to do homework. School would start later and finish earlier. A lot of things that children complain about these days have to do with education. Many students believe that working on a daily basis isn’t important, but what they don’t know is that a proper government cannot be formed without the knowledge on how to do so. Schooling provides knowledge in many different areas, for example, simple math. Being able to do math is required in several careers, occupations and job-related tasks. However, not all kids are willing to participate in the use of math outside of school.

Schooling is not the only issue that kids have and would consider changing. Some just simply like to have fun. I’m sure some kids would argue in favour of driving before age sixteen, or for violent movies to have no rating. The problem, though, is children are very impressionable. Violent movies would lead to physical violence in the real world, and children driving at an early age would cause more traffic concerns leading to danger on the road.

Even though there are many bright ideas coming from many intelligent children, they need to learn first before they can actually “call the shots”. Remember, all successful adults were once children who learned just like children are learning today for the future.


Poet’s Corner


French Poetry: Un Casse-Croûte
Alecia Do Rego, 8ième année

Un casse-croûte est bon.
Si vous voulez manger vite.
C’est appétissant!


French Poetry: Au Casse Croûte
Kazden Cattapan, 8ième année

Au Casse Croûte je mange
Des mets, des frites, une boisson
Je mange un goûter!


Disappearing Species
Kate Kalenchuk, Grade 6

Extinction
defunct, gone
vanish, abolish, terminate
habitat loss, urbanization / protection, rescue
repair, preserve, shelter

The City
Deli Kuwabong, Grade 6


Former city
polluted, shabby
defiled, damaged, forsaken
landfill, smog / recycling, composting
reducing, planting, conserving
fortunate, hopeful
Modern city



Change
Cassidy Lark, Grade 6

Garbage
lazy, harmful
careless, destructive, disastrous
landfill, waste / compost, recyclables
sorting, preserving, caring
effort, environmental
Green and Blue bin




Polluted World

Sabrina Norry, Grade 6

Pollution
harmful, horrible
misusing, destroying, trashing
fossil fuel, garbage / mountain, forest
refreshing, saving, inspiring
pristine, untouched
Nature



A day in the life of a fisherman in New France
Breanna Cowan, Grade 7

My name is Pierre Hull and I am a fisherman from Britain. My father sent me here for a new life, a better life, if you will. As the summer sun rises upon my pale, cold face, I know it’s time for me to wake up. When I pull on my clothes, I feel sore all over. As soon as my aged, brown boots touch the deck, I smell the hard, cold stench of cod. As I walk towards the misty waters of the lake, I’m blinded by the sun and the morning fog. I hear the yells and the crying of the boys delivering the news. Once I reach the ship, I feel sore once again but it does not matter what I feel, for if I am not on that boat soon, my master will give me no pay.

When I am on the boat, we set sail for Newfoundland for it is rich in fish. This journey is more than three hours long so most of the men play cards or chat. As we reach the spot where we will anchor, the men are yelling back and forth. As we reel in the cod, my arms go numb but I must keep working. We have gathered enough fish to last us about two weeks. As we set sail for home, I turn toward the sun and see the water dance in the setting sun. When I watch this, I think of home and of all the good times that I had there. I feel a warm tear come from my eye and fall down the hardworking face of a fisherman. This is my life. It may not be the best but it is my life and I love it.


A day in the life of a schoolgirl in New France
Maya Ebrahim, Grade 7

Hello, my name is Gabriella and I live the life of an average schoolgirl here in New France. The school I attend is very strict and precise about how they teach their students. We are taught by nuns who spend much of their time at the chapel when they are not teaching us. When I wake up in the morning, I usually wash my face and then I get right to my chores. My chores consist of mopping the floors and fetching fresh water from the water pump up ahead.

After I have done my chores, I go to the market to buy food and I then head to the chapel to pray to God. I thank Him for all I have received. As I walk into school, I make sure that I am dressed properly so that I don’t get into trouble. We learn many things in school like religion and math. After I return from school, I bring food to my mother and I wash up for dinner. I help mother prepare for dinner with my brothers, George and Andre.

I love to help mother prepare for dinner. It’s always so pleasant. After I am done eating, I wash up for bed and pray good night. This is how I live every day. This is my routine. It might seem unsatisfying but it’s a great life. I will now rest my head and gently fall asleep as I prepare for another hardworking day tomorrow.


A day in the life of a Seigneur in New France
Ilir Sholla, Grade 7

My name is George Shaw and I am a Seigneur. The King of France sent me here to New France to be a Seigneur. Now that I am here, I have been trying to find habitants. I already have a few living on my land. The habitants are very poor, but if they pay me just a small rental fee and work on my land, they will have a good home for their families. Finding habitants is only one of my many duties as a Seigneur. I also have to divide my land among all the habitants and I have to defend my community. Now that is not easy. I have already built and currently operate a flourmill, which is another of my duties. I still have one more thing to do. I have to provide a chapel and a priest for the habitants.

All of this work is really hard! Sure, I get to be the boss and all, but the boss has a lot of hard work to do as well. It isn’t all play and no work. The habitants have a lot of work to do too. Some of the harvest that they gather is given to me each year. They have to work on my land, but only for a few days each year. If the habitants want to use the flourmill, they have to pay a fee. The day is almost over and at this time each day, when the sun is setting, I find myself thinking how proud I am to be a Seigneur. I’m lucky I have money and food thanks to the habitants. It’s a good feeling. Well, I better get back to my flourmill.


What does REGINA MUNDI SCHOOL stand for?
Katherine Heleno, Grade 5

Royals
Enthusiastic students
Great school
Intelligence galore
Nice teachers
Athletics

Ms. Scibetta, Principal
Understanding adults
Never ending love
Diligent pupils
Interesting work

Supportive parents
Co-op students
Helpful friends
Outstanding volunteers
Optimistic environment
Lovable teachers



What does REGINA MUNDI stand for?

Lilly Noto-Campanella, Grade 5

Royals
Excellent teachers
Great people
Inclusive community
Navy blue and white
An awesome place to learn!

Mary – Queen of the World
Uniforms help organize our lives
Never give up in life!
Dynamic students
I love my school!!

No comments: